Former Lake Street Fire Hall, Station No. 2, St.Catharines Fire Department

The Fire Hall was built and officially opened December 15th, 1913 by Mayor Dr. William H. Merritt. It was designed of masonry in the Neo-Tudor style by architect Thomas Wiley. The Fire Hall had the most up-to-date features including stalls for horses which automatically opened after an alarm was triggered. Harnesses would automatically drop onto the horse’s backs ready for service.

In 1917, the first Motor Truck was purchased bringing the inventory to two horse drawn carts, nine horses, one ladder truck & one horse-drawn steam engine. To this day, large building vibration will bring a sprinkling of oats down from the former loft area.

By 1925 the station housed a 1920 REO four cylinder truck. A small addition was constructed in 1942 to the south to accommodate a 1943 Bickle Seagrave pumper truck.

An addition was added in 1976 to the west end of the 1942 addition to accommodate ambulances. Station 2 has changed owners & purpose over the years including War Measures Organization (1962-69), Regional Niagara Public Works (1973-75), Ambulance Services (1976-96) & Down to Earth Pottery (1998-2006), until local architects Michael Mirynech & Luigi Marcantonio purchased it in 2006 & respectfully began restoring her former glory.